Sunday, May 2, 2010

7.2 then the couch

I've been reading the jeff galloways book "marathon, you can do it!" and in it they recommend taking the day off before a long run. Problem was yesterday had been my 3rd day off in a row. So figuring that was too many i took a hot bath at 1030 pm and hit the treadmill at 1045. I don't know why I insist on running clean I just do. Which is ironic because its washington and always raining and thus the minute i step outside...i'm clean. Anyhoo...freshly bathed i made it 45 minutes on the treadmill. Now 1130 pm I finished watching Iron chef america (also weird that I watch cooking shows while running) while pretending to stretch...and of course eating because the show made me hungry.

So that put me to bed after midnight and at 7am I briefly remember cadence asking if she could serve the kids cocoa puffs, toast and cheezits. I remember thinking how great it was that her breakfast contained the 4 basic food groups: salt, transfats, high fructose corn syrup and artificial colors. I drifted in and out of consciousness and woke up to an empty bag of cheezits and the dog covered in orange crumbs. Good to know the lab is carbo loading. I also heard mitch holler "Coda peed on the chair". In my fuege dream state I wondered how a 70 pound dog could get on a rocker but didn't really care.

Finally, after church I embarked upon the trail with my running partner in tow (actually she was towing me) and with my excellent math skills figured 9 laps around the lake was my goal. About lap 7 i started to really feel the sleep deprivation and late night treadmill affair. I realized that trix wasn't the breakfast of champions and you can't cram for a long run by trying to make up the mileage the night before. With my newfound wisdom I completed 7.2 miles in 1 hour and 40 minutes. I also found a 20 dollar bill on the ground. Perfectly crisp and waiting for me. I was looking for an owner but there were no other idiots running in the rain so i was the rightful new owner. I have justified that it was dropped from heaven like Jesus dangling a carrot to help me reach my goal. It will fuel my latte's for a week and for that I am grateful. Jason told cadence I was running a marathon. I cringed as it is only 5 hours more than I did today. She didn't seem very impressed till I told her "today I ran as far as from our house to the church. Her beautiful brown eyes got big and mine did as well...because...in my eyes and in my 6 year olds...it really is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment